Sunday, October 2, 2011
Typhoon
こんにちは!

Yesterday was the first day of school and it wasn't exactly as bad as I was expecting it to be although Tuesdays are going to be my busy days.

The day start out as normal, hitting the alarm clock off at seven in the morning to get ready to go down and get breakfast. I never take a shower in the morning anymore since I don't have a hair dryer and my hair will not dry in time for school with all the humidity. Breakfast is only from 7-8:20 in the morning which isn't a lot of time. By the time I get ready it's roughly 7:45 am and Julie is usually ready to go down by this time as well.

Once breakfast is done Julie and I went up stairs to finish whatever we need to do, hair, make-up, gathering all the things we need for school. Julie, Ellie (who joined us at the main door to the dormitory), and I left for school calling out "Ittekimasu" as we left.

*A quick note for those who don't know, when you leave home you call out Ittekimasu which literally means "I'll go and come back" and is usually met with Itterasshai which means "Please go and come back." Something similar is used when one comes back home. You call out Tadaima "I'm home" and you are greeted with Okaeri nasai "Welcome home."

Thankfully I checked the weather and grabbed my umbrella because it was raining when we stepped outside. The walk was about 15 minutes but the main street that leads up to the school and we have became accustom to was filled with people. All you could see was different colors from the umbrellas and they were all the college students with a few business men and women mixed in the crowd. At the time I think I might have been in shock with how many people there were when we weaved into the crowd. And honestly it probably about the same amount of people that go to NAU but I'm not use to everyone being in a small space at once. The stares probably didn't help the situation.

There were a few men stationed throughout the street warning when there were cars coming through the street or anything else that we would need to move away from.

For Tuesdays I have three classes; JPN 2b (JPN Literacy), Naginata, and JPN Language & Society.
 JPN 2b is hard. The class focuses on writing and reading Japanese but the teacher doesn't speak very much English which is in a sense a good thing because we are forced to speak Japanese. But the downside is this is a writing class which involves grammer, kanji, and other things that need to be explained how and why it's worked in the way it does. The teacher, Kawashima-sensei, is really nice but I don't think she really knows how to teach Japanese to foreign students.

Naginata was amazing. I'm going to make a more story-like post next time on my thoughts on Naginata on the first day.

And finally is JPN Language & Society. The teacher is Kite-sensei who is also my adviser during the stay here at Kansai University. After this class I'm happy that she is my adviser because she is super nice, and her class seems so interesting. The class focuses on a more linguistic which is great because my interest in linguistics has grown since my anthropology class last semester.

But today (the 21st) class was cancelled because of the typhoon in the area. I had only one class today so it was no big deal but we weren't suppose to leave the dorm unless we had to. The typhoon wasn't directly above us, we just felt the effects like lots and lots of rain. Around the afternoon thankfully the rain let up and the dorm manager allowed us to hurry to the seven eleven store to grab some food for lunch since they don't serve lunch at the dormitory.

Nothing much happened today just rain, rain and rain.
0 Honey:

Post a Comment